Psalm of the day

Psalm 119:1-8
Blessed are the undefiled in the way, who walk in the law of the LORD.
Blessed are they that keep his testimonies, and that seek him with the whole heart.
They also do no iniquity: they walk in his ways.
Thou hast commanded us to keep thy precepts diligently.
O that my ways were directed to keep thy statutes!
Then shall I not be ashamed, when I have respect unto all thy commandments.
I will praise thee with uprightness of heart, when I shall have learned thy righteous judgments.
I will keep thy statutes: O forsake me not utterly.

Sunday, July 3, 2011

Symbols of Freedom

There are two symbols that display our freedom. The first one we all know very well. She stands in New York harbor. She represents liberty for all: she is called the Statue of Liberty. When we see her torch raised to the sky we feel a sense of pride to be privileged to live in such a great Nation! She is one of the things that make proud to be Americans!

The second symbol of our freedom makes us Christians especially proud! It stands in Calvary on a hill in Golgotha. For Christians it represents a freedom from sin. It gives us hope that one day we will get to end our days here on earth and go live for eternity with our heavenly Father! It gives us a reason to celebrate because we no longer have to live in control of sin. Sin has lost its grip on us, and all we have to do is humbly go before Jesus and repent of your sin and He will cast it away forever! And this is all possible because God sent His only Son to die on a cross for our sins (John 3:16). And now in order to receive freedom from our sin, all we have to do is come to the cross and let go of all the sin that has held us captive. Then once you do that you can proudly say, "I am proud to be called a Christian."

A song I really like to listen to, especially around the Fourth of July, is called Stature of Liberty by Larnelle Harris. The lyrics portray just what I was trying to communicate in this blog post. I hope you like them too:
In New York harbor stands a lady
With a torch raised to the sky
And all who see her know she stands for
Liberty for me and you

I'm so proud to be called an American
To be named with the brave and the free
I will honor our flag and our trust in God
And the Statue of Liberty

On lonely Golgotha stood a cross
With my Lord raised to the sky
And all who kneel there live forever
As all the saints can testify

I'm so glad to be called a Christian
To be named with the ransomed and whole
As the statue liberates the citizen
So the cross liberates the soul

The cross is my statue of liberty
For it was there that my soul was set free
Unashamed I'll proclaim that a rugged cross
Is my statue of liberty
Unashamed I'll proclaim that a rugged cross
Is my statue of liberty

Happy Fourth of July Everyone!!!!!! Enjoy some wonderful time with family and find some time to thank God for your freedom and if you see someone who has served in the military be sure to thank them too for serving our country. God bless America!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment